Tuesday, May 03, 2011

County Limerick to get its first new priest in six years

County Limerick is to get its first new priest in six years in the coming weeks.
 
When he is ordained on June 19, Rev Ger Fitzgerald, who is a native of Castleconnell in the diocese of Killaloe, will become the first Limerick-born priest to be ordained since Fr Chris O'Donnell was ordained in 2005. 

Speaking this week on his vocation to the Limerick Leader newspaper, the 29 year old said “It would have always have been something in the back of my mind to be a priest.  When you hit secondary school you do begin to lose interest in the religious side of things and get more interested in girlfriends and part-time jobs.” 

“As I got older I had girlfriends and a couple of different jobs but the idea of being a priest still lingered away in the back of my mind.  I was very worried would I be able for the celibacy, the obedience and the life.  After a lot of prayer and talking to the parish priest here and one or two priests in Limerick I took the decision to go for it.  If it wasn't going to suit me or if it's not for me it wouldn't be the end of the world.” 

Commenting on young people and the priesthood he said, “People do turn to priests looking for hope and solace. When I was in Lourdes last year there were fifty to sixty young people there who had given up part of their holidays to care for the elderly and the sick on the trip. I don't understand how they can say that young people are losing their faith when there are people like that.”

Ger is a native of the parish of Castleconnell, Co. Limerick.  

Born to Patrick and Mary Fitzgerald on December 21st 1979, Ger is the youngest of two sons and has an older brother, Anthony.  

He attended Castleconnell National School and St. Mary's Convent, Newport Co. Tipperary where he did his leaving certificate in 1997.  

After school he worked in the Castle Oaks Hotel and for a stainless steel manufacturing company in Dublin.
 
Ger's interests include music and sport and he has a huge interest in  Georgian culture and architecture.  

He follow Limerick hurling and football as well as being a supporter of Manchester City F.C.