Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Philippine president risks excommunication over contraception bill

Philippine President Benigno Aquino said he will push for the passage of a reproductive health bill in Congress, to fight poverty, despite risking excommunication from the Church, said a Reuters report in the West Australian. 

"I remain committed to push the passage of a law for responsible parenthood," Aquino told graduates of the country's premier state university.

"I know there are those who oppose it. At risk of excommunication, it is my obligation as leader to explain my principles to them, even if their minds are already closed. But, in the end, I must listen to my conscience and do what is right."

Last year, Catholic bishops denied threatening to impose canonical sanction against the president due to his plans but reminded him to consider the Church's position.

During his speech, Aquino spoke of meeting an unemployed 16-year-old boy with two children. 

He said: "How will they feed their children when they have no jobs? Who is to blame for their situation? How did such responsibility fall on them? More importantly, how can I help them?"

The church says tackling corruption would do more to reduce poverty than slowing population growth.