Saturday, March 19, 2011

Road is named after Bishop Crispian Hollis

A road outside St John’s Cathedral in Portsmouth has been re-named Bishop Crispian Way in honour of the city’s bishop.

Bishop Crispian Hollis of Portsmouth, who is nearing retirement after 22 years as bishop, was surprised to be shown the new sign yesterday by the leader of Portsmouth City Council, Cllr Gerald Vernon-Jackson.

He said: “I am overwhelmed by the honour that is being done to me by the renaming of what I might call our section of Edinburgh Road. As far as I know, no such honour has been done to any of my predecessors and I am still at a little bit of a loss to know what I have done to deserve this honour."

“I have now lived in the city of Portsmouth for nearly 23 years and I have come to love it as my home. I have always tried to engage myself in the life of the wider community of the city and when the time comes for me to leave, I will do so with great sadness."

“But I don’t want to dwell on that today. Suffice it to say that I thank the leader of the council and his colleagues for the honour that they do me and the honour that they do to the whole diocese at the heart of which is our great city of Portsmouth.”