Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Member of 'Roman Catholic Women Priests' Repents and Reconciles with Church

On May 22, 1994, the Venerable John Paul II released an apostolic letter, addressed to the Bishops of the Catholic Church entitled "On Reserving Priestly Ordination to Men Alone (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis) 

It is a very short, succinct affirmation of the clear teaching of the Catholic Church and should be read by every Catholic - and any other Christian - who wants to understand the who, what, where and why of this entire question. 

There is no room for dissent, debate or disagreement on it. 

The letter ends with these words: 

"Although the teaching that priestly ordination is to be reserved to men alone has been preserved by the constant and universal Tradition of the Church and firmly taught by the Magisterium in its more recent documents, at the present time in some places it is nonetheless considered still open to debate, or the Church's judgment that women are not to be admitted to ordination is considered to have a merely disciplinary force.

"Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful."

The arguments against this teaching sometimes come from people who do not understand that the priesthood is not a job and have succumbed to the "rights" mentality of the current age. 

Other times they come from people who have no understanding of the sacramental nature of the Church. 

Both groups may include among them Catholics who, as in too many other areas of doctrine, have not been properly catechized. 

However, there are those who know the teaching and its authoritative nature but have willfully chosen to publicly dissent and lead others astray. One such group calls itself  "Roman catholic Womenpriests".

This group refers to itself as an "international initiative within the Roman Catholic Church". 

They are not even within the Catholic Church having broken communion. 

They claim "the mission of Roman Catholic Womenpriests is to spiritually prepare, ordain, and support women and men from all states of life, who are theologically qualified, who are committed to an inclusive model of Church, and who are called by the Holy Spirit and their communities to minister within the Roman Catholic Church."

In fact they have, by their own choice, placed themselves outside of the very Church they purport to serve. 

The members of the group who dress in vestments and purport to exercise a priestly ministry are in heresy. 

They do not, they cannot, hold the office they claim. 

One of those led astray by this group was Norma Jean Coon of San Diego, California. She has been married for 47 years, raised five children, and is a Nurse with a PhD. 

She also participated in an attempted "ordination" to the Order of Deacon, the first of the Holy Orders of the Church, on July 22, 2007. 

On February 8, 2011 she publicly renounced her membership in this group and  disclaimed, in her words, "the alleged ordination publicly with apologies to those whose lives I have offended or scandalized by my actions." 

She has now offered a public confession and request for reconciliation, "I wish to renounce the alleged ordination and publicly state that I did not act as a deacon as a part of this group except on two occasions, when I read the gospel once at mass and distributed communion once at this same mass. I withdrew from the program within two weeks of the ceremony because I realized that I had made a mistake in studying for the priesthood. I confess to the truth of Pope John Paul II's Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis . I confess the authority of the Holy Father on these issues of ordination and recognize that Christ founded the ordination only for men.

"Formally, I relinquish all connection to the program of Roman Catholic Women Priests and I disclaim the alleged ordination publicly with apologies to those whose lives I have offended or scandalized by my actions. I ask God's blessings upon each of these folks and their families." (Norma Jean Coon, RN, MFCC, PhD , San Diego, California)
Following this formal renunciation she then offered this moving prayer:  "Holy God, I ask your blessings on my Bishop and my pastor and priests in Rome who have assisted me in the process of being re-instated into the Roman Catholic Church and I forsake all connection with the Roman Catholic Women Priests program via Internet or otherwise.

"I thank you for the efforts of my family in my behalf and ask for Jesus' Light and Love to pour over my husband of 47 years and my five children.

"Forgive me my Beloved Jesus and Mother Mary for pursuing my own will in this matter of ordination and as I consecrate myself to your Divine Will through the Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I ask you to pour out Light and Love upon any who have placed themselves outside of your Love and Light Bless us, O Lord, for these thy gifts and place us in the Heart of the Father, as we pray for more priests to serve in our church and for vocations to enrich our Church in the United States. Forgive us for failing in obedience and enrich us in your Holy Love, I pray through Jesus and Mary. Fiat+"
We invite our readers throughout the world to pray for Norma Jean and her family. 

We also encourage our readers to pray for those who lead "Roman Catholic Womenpriests" to turn from their error and follow the path of Norma Jean home to the heart of the Church from which they have separated themselves. 

St Luke records these sobering words from Jesus: "Things that cause sin will inevitably occur, but woe to the person through whom they occur. It would be better for him if a millstone were put around his neck and he be thrown into the sea than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin".

As for Norma Jean Coon, we echo the words of Jesus also recorded by the Apostle Luke:" I tell you, there will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents." 

Welcome home dear sister.

Source