Wednesday, February 16, 2011

New archbishop in Orissa: I am a tribal, I will console my people

The new archbishop of Cuttack-Bhubaneshwar, Msgr. John Barwa, titular of Rourkela, Orissa, spoke exclusively to AsiaNews about his appointment, the history of his people and events that have accompanied the Church in the region.

"Unworthy though I am, it is He who has manifested his Great Love through  the journey of my life, from my humble tribal origins to the called to serve as a priest, then a provincial, Bishop and Archbishop.  It is only through the Loving Mercy of God and the accompaniment of his Blessed Mother, who has accompanied me on my journey in Faith and Service to the Church and my People". 

The archbishop has taken a particularly pointed out that the announcement of the appointment was made “on the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes and this was providential as the Blessed Mother has been my constant companion in the Via Crucis of my life, my family and my people.  Yesterday, before the announcement, I was in Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament, I felt very uneasy and disturbed, and Prayed to the Father and the Blessed Mother, to guide me, in  this new responsibility to lead my people, praying I felt empowered that the Holy Sprit will guide me to lead our people”.

The archbishop-elect is the uncle of Meena Barwa, the nun who suffered violence and rape during the 2008 pogrom in Kandhamal. 

“Sr Meena was one of the first who greeted me and she was bubbling with joy , “Uncle” she joyfully said, “God is so kind to our family. My heart sings of the Greatness of God , Uncle, you will lead our people in truth, justice and peace.  All my sufferings, pain and humiliation I offer for you and your mission as archbishop.  God will lead you and Mary will protect you. I will continuously pray for you. This is for our people and our Church a sign of God’s continued blessings.”  Thus the archbishop added that "the sufferings of Meena are bearing fruit for the Church, for the people of Orissa and for my family." 

The Archbishop is well aware of the difficulties inherent in the situation: "My motto is ‘Thy Kingdom Come”, and the Kingdom of God is peace, justice, love as opposed to hatred and Iijustice, and it is  the love of Christ that prompts us to works of justice and truth.”
 
The archbishop said that because of his family ties, and as Meena's uncle " I know the pain , anguish and sufferings of my people, my own niece (sr Meena) has gone through the intense suffering and still suffers and being a Tribal, I understand every humiliation and suffering. I have practical experience of the resurrection and the victory of life over death. This will support my people and my service to the Church of Bhubaneshwar Cuttack. They are part of the suffering Church in Orissa, can I console my people. "