Monday, December 13, 2010

Belfast priest reveals second ordeal in South Africa

A Belfast born priest who survived a horrific gun attack in South Africa three years ago has revealed that that he was the victim of another attack in South Africa earlier this year.  

Fr Kieran Creagh, a Passionist priest, revealed that following an attempted hijacking in South Africa earlier this year,he was pursued by a gang of men in a 160 kilometre per hour chase and that this had left him more traumatised than the shooting where he almost lost his life. 

Just three years ago Fr Creagh, c.p., was almost killed when a group of armed robbers shot him while he was working in the AIDS Hospital he helped set up in Pretoria.  

After the shooting Fr Creagh returned to his parent's home in Belfast where he recovered.

He revealed that on his return to South Africa he was the target of another robbery. 

He said, “I was in my car when five guys came up behind me, I pulled over to let them pass but they slowed down right behind me.  When I realised it was five young fellows in the car behind me and I was in the middle of nowhere, I accelerated away and they accelerated too and continued to chase me for around 30 kilometres.” 

“Eventually I drove to a police station and they disappeared'. 

Fr Creagh said that the incident was even more terrifying that the shooting as it lasted for almost 30 minutes.  

Fr Creagh also revealed that he is still been treated for post-traumatic stress since the original incident.

SIC: CIN/IE