Thursday, August 05, 2010

US cardinal laments missing out on jury service

Boston Cardinal Sean O’Malley says he regrets that he did not get to sit on a trial after being called up for jury service last month.

“For the second time since being named archbishop, I was called for jury duty,” Cardinal O’Malley wrote on his blog.

“I reported with my fellow prospective jurors and we first listened to a presentation given by one of the judges to prepare us for jury, and then there was a video presentation.

“I was not chosen to sit on a jury,” he said.” I guess they didn’t need me!”

“I haven’t been selected to sit on a jury either time I have been called, which is too bad. I was looking forward to serving,” Cardinal O’Malley noted.

“Jury duty is an important civic responsibility, in order that citizens have the opportunity to have their cases heard by fair minded peers.

“We should remember that if it was our case being heard, we would want good people on the jury, and so we should respond to this important call to service as it is asked of us,” he concluded.

SIC: CTHAS