Thursday, July 22, 2010

Rapping with Father Stan

"Did you ever meet Pope John Paul?" Father Stan Fortuna was asked at Pray 2010 following one of his morning keynote addresses, when we heard him speak with admiration of his "hero" and "mentor".

Before you can say "Fr Stan's a rapping priest from New York city", he reveals his "passport" - a photo of him meeting Pope John Paul II and on the flipside, yet another with Pope Benedict XVI.

"I told the Holy Father, 'You are my hero and I am your ambassador for the new culture of the streets of New York'," Fr Stan said of that encounter with Pope John Paul.

It was a moment Franciscan Father of the Renewal Stan Fortuna literally takes with him everywhere he goes.

"Pope John Paul is my mentor and has been even more so since he passed on. When they say to me at airports, 'So you're a priest' I show them my passport (the photos)."

Known for his engaging style and popular at Pray 2010 for his workshops and presentations focused on young people, Fr Stan also reveals a large insert folder complete with the writings of various saints and popes.

"I'm a wolf with a ravenous appetite," he said. "For everything, especially food ... but sometimes I add too much garlic."

Enigmatic Fr Stan implied a double meaning in that statement, recognising that sometimes his message "is full on".

"Sometimes I see people thinking, 'I can't believe he just did that'," Fr Stan said of speaking worldwide about faith and creating that "new culture" promised to Pope John Paul.

"The whole concept of the civilisation of love (or the 'new culture') is about a new humanism with dignity and respect for everybody," Fr Stan said.

"It's about using the arts and using everything including the skills people have to make a contribution to building up this new culture.

SIC: CTHN