Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pope thanks Maltese for their welcome during his visit

Pope Benedict has thanked the Maltese for their welcome during his “joyful” visit to Malta, which was also moving when he met some of those who allege abuse by members of the clergy.

In a letter to President George Abela, Pope Benedict said:

“I wish to thank you most sincerely for the very warm welcome I received from you and your fellow citizens during my recent Apostolic visit to Malta. I also extend my sincere greetings and thanks to Mrs Abela.

“The time spent with the people of Malta was a very joyful one for me, filled with encounters which allowed me to learn at first hand of their affection for the Successor of Peter and the fervour with which the Catholics in your islands live their faith, especially the young. It was also moving to meet some of those who allege abuse by members of the clergy.

“Finally I am confident that Malta will continue to be faithful to the wonderfully rich Christian heritage which I witnessed and to be worthy sons and daughters of their great father in the faith, St Paul. With renewed thanks, I willingly impart my Apostolic Blessing to you and to all the beloved people of Malta.”

SIC: TOMCom