Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Monks to ditch books for balls

WILLIE O’DEA, worshipped by voters in Limerick, is to join the Moyross monks.

But Fianna Fáil in Limerick need have no fear of losing their godlike poll topper.

The former defence minister will be with the monks for a few hours next Sunday – when they line out in a charity soccer game against a Garda team.

Mr O’Dea will not be in the line of fire but has agreed to act as manager of the Monks 11, which will be made up of the six Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, and locals in Moyross.

The game will raise money for cancer research and the Special Olympics.

Jamie Daly from Moyross is organising the game which will kick-off at 2pm next Sunday at Shelbourne Park.

"I was talking with my friend Fr Paulus recently and recalled how my grandmother was in Milford Hospice when I was a child. I didn’t know what was wrong with her but, later, I used to visit the hospice.

"Fr Paulus then said I was very successful coaching the Moyross B side and I should organise something. I said we’ll have a soccer game with a difference and Fr Paulus said he’d get a team together.

"It is my hope that we’ll be able to help cancer research and the special olympics and show that Moyross is a community that cares.

"Very often Moyross is portrayed in the media as a no-go gangland area. This does not reflect the majority of the people who live here. I was born in Moyross and I am proud of my home and my family who live here.

"I am often upset at what is said and written about Moyross and, next Sunday, we hope to show the real spirit that shines in Moyross."

A number of bands including Corpus Christ Pipe Band will turn out to entertain those attending the game.

SIC: IE