Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cardinal apologises to victims but refuses to quit over Smyth role

CARDINAL Seán Brady has apologised to child sex abuse victims who were abused by Fr Brendan Smyth after the priest was established by a Church inquiry to be a paedophile.

But the cardinal repeated his defence of his own actions in the inquiry, insisting he had no authority to do anything other than pass the details on to his superior.

Cardinal Brady was responding to calls for his resignation following revelations that he questioned two young victims of Smyth in 1975 as part of a secret inquiry that led to Smyth being denied permission to act as a diocesan priest but left him free to work in chaplaincy roles where he continued to abuse for 18 more years.

The cardinal told RTÉ News that his role in the inquiry was purely to take the evidence from the children – under oath of secrecy – and pass it on to his then superior Bishop of Kilmore, the late Francis McKiernan.

He rejected claims his silence was part of a Church cover-up in the Smyth affair.

"I didn’t remain silent. I passed the information to the man who had the power to act.

"I had no decision-making role in the process. I was a full-time teacher at St Patrick’s College in Cavan and I was a very part-time occasional secretary to Bishop McKiernan. I carried out my duties as I saw them to the best of my ability."

He said it was unfair to judge his actions by today’s standards.

"Thirty-five years ago we were in a different world. We had no guidance, we were in unchartered territory and now we have higher standards, thankfully, and certainly I wouldn’t act in the same way now as I did then.

"But I repeat that I was not the manager, I was not bishop then and I did act – that’s the most important thing – I did act and acquired the evidence which allowed Bishop McKiernan to act decisively." Cardinal Brady said he regretted more children had been abused after the 1975 inquiry but said he was not to blame because others did not do their duty.

"I am very sorry about that and I would say I apologise to those who were abused by Brendan Smyth after ’75. I am deeply sorry that this has happened and I am committed to doing my utmost now to bring healing and closure and to ensure such crimes are never, never committed again."

However he said the Catholic Church was not alone in failing to deal adequately with abusers. "Our first concern as a society should always be for survivors of abuse but I would suggest for all survivors of all types of abuse," he said.

"Our understanding of child sexual abuse was different. There was a culture of secrecy and silence I suppose but it wasn’t just confined to clergy. It was the way society dealt with this problem... Is it really helpful to continue to give the impression that it’s confined to one section of society when we know it’s not?"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to us or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that we agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

SIC: IE