Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve 2009


"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer
God of love and mercy,
help us to follow the example of Mary,
always ready to do your will.
At the message of an angel
she welcomed your eternal Son
and, filled with the light of your Spirit,
she became the temple of your Word,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation
"Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.
May it be done to me according to your word."
Mary could become the "temple of God's Word"
because she was so ready to do God's will.
As we approach this anniversary of our redemption,
let's spend the day placing our life in God's hands
embracing the ways he will come to us
and let us be his instruments for others.

Let the Lord enter; he is the king of glory.

Intercessions
To Christ our Lord, the light of the world , let us cry
with joy:
Come Lord Jesus!

Dispel our darkness with the light of your presence,
- and make us worthy of your gifts.

Save us, Lord our God,
- that we may praise your holy name this day.

Enkindle in our hearts the flame of your love,
- and make us long to be united with you.

You bore our infirmity,
-aid the sick and those who are to die this day.

Closing Prayer
Oh, God-With-Us,

For so long you have promised
forgiveness, peace, salvation.
Now in my heart, I am filled with joy
because of your coming.

Thank you for your promises
and for the way I can trust in you.
I feel a new freedom in my life
and a courage I have not known before.

I know you came to save me and bring new life
and I am so grateful to you.
Let me show my thankfulness
with my life.
You have brought me through the darkness
and into the light of your saving grace.

Guide my feet on the way of peace.

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel!

May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil
and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.