Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Day 2009


"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Entrance Antiphon:
A light will shine on us this day,
the Lord is born for us:
he shall be called Wonderful God,
Prince of Peace, Father of the world to come;
and his kingship will never end. (Isaiah 9:2,6; Luke 1:33)

Opening Prayer
Let us pray that the love of Christ will be a light to the world.

Father, we are filled with the new light by the coming of your Word
among us. May the light of faith shine in our words and actions.

Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
Who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation
A light will shine on us this day: the Lord is born for us.

And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart.
Then the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God
for all they had heard and seen, just as it had been told to them.

As we are gathering for our Christmas celebration this morning,
the story of the shepherds reminds us that the good news is for the poor.
As we arrive, dressed in our Christmas finest,
let us remember that the good news is address to what is poor in us.
Jesus comes in poverty so we will always know that we are never alone,
even when we are overwhelmed by fear, anxiety or any discouragement or disillusionment.

Let us sing this morning with hearts that are grateful,
glorifying and praising God.
And let us never forget the shepherds that he brought so much joy to,
as we accept our mission to bring joy to a world
hungering for justice and peace.

Your ways, O Lord, make known to me;
teach me your paths,
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my savior. Ps. 25

Intercessions
The Word of God existed before the creation of the universe
yet was born among us in time.
We praise and worship him as we cry out in joy.

Let the earth ring out with joy for you have come!

You are the eternal Word of God who flooded the world with joy at your birth,
- fill us with joy by the continuous gift of your life.

You saved us and by your birth revealed to us the covenant faithfulness of the Lord,
- help us to be faithful to the promises of our baptism.

You are the King of heaven and earth who sent messengers to announce peace to all,
- let our lives be filled with your peace.

You are the true vine that brings forth the fruit of life,
- make us branches of the vine bearing much fruit.

Closing Prayer
My heart is filled with wonder
and my soul bursts with joy.
at your nearness to me, dear Lord.

As the dawn rises, so do my spirits
and I sense your presence in this jubilant light.
I feel like one of the shepherds in your presence,
humble and so very aware of my poverty
but so willing to spread the joyful news.

I just want to sing out, Lord.
My voice is rising and my soul is opening up to you.
Thank you for coming into my very poor life.
I feel joy and hope and love.

May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil
and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.