Sunday, December 13, 2009

Advent 2009 - 3rd Sunday


"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Entrance Antiphon

Rejoice in the Lord, always:

again, I say, rejoice.
The Lord is near.

Opening Prayer
Let us pray
that God will fill us with joy at the coming of Christ.
Lord God,
may we, your people,
who look forward to the birthday of Christ
experience the joy of salvation
and celebrate that feast with love and thanksgiving.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.



Daily Meditation

Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing.
In all circumstances give thanks.

We begin this third week of Advent asking to feel the joy
that comes from knowing our Lord's coming to us is near.
In these precious days ahead, we are praying, longing, hoping
in the background of our everyday lives.

His mission is for each of us who ask, “What must we do?”
He tells us to give away our coats, our security.
He asks that we not bully people but be content with our lives.

We can smile today as we imagine the freedom he has won for us
and how liberating it will be to live it, with him, for others.
It is right to give our God thanks and praise.

Have no anxiety at all, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,
make your requests known to God.
Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4: 6-7

Shout for joy, O daughter Zion!
Sing joyfully, O Israel!
Be glad and exult with all your heart. Zephaniah 3: 14


Intercessions

To God our Father, who has given us the grace
to wait in graceful hope for the revelation of
our Lord Jesus Christ, let us make our prayer:
Show us your mercy, Lord.


Sanctify us in mind and body,
- keep us without sin until the coming of your Son.

Make us walk this day in holiness,
- and live upright and devout lives in this world.

May we be clothed in our Lord Jesus Christ,
- and filled with the Holy Spirit.

Lord, help us to stand watchful and ready,
- until your Son is revealed in all his glory.

Closing Prayer

I lift my heart up to you, Lord,
to thank you for the blessings
you shower on me each day.

You are the 'joy of my soul.'
I know that in your great love,
I am held and protected by you.

I pray and listen to the good news you send;
I ask and feel the healing.
I am freed by you
from the things in this world
that let me hide from you.

I rejoice, I rejoice, down to my soul.
Help me to prepare my heart
to be open and able to receive your immense love.

May the Lord bless us, protect us from all evil and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.