Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Advent 2009 - 1st Tuesday


"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

God of mercy and consolation,
help us in our weakness and free us from sin.
Hear our prayers
that we may rejoice at the coming of your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation
A shoot shall sprout from the stump.
Our God can transform our weakness, our sin, all conflict and all division.
From every life-less stump - where any future hope has been cut off
- a shoot of new life can sprout.
He shall judge the poor with justice,
and decide aright for the land's afflicted.

We need to really hear this "good news" so that our hearts can begin to be softened
to hear how profoundly our God desires to help us
and to make things right with all of creation.
Throughout the day today, we can lighten our spirits
as we turn to God and pray:
Let me rejoice at the coming of your Son, for me!

Justice shall flourish in his time, and fullness of peace forever. Ps. 72

Intercessions
To the eternal Word who became man
to reveal to us the new and living way.
Let us make our humble prayer:
Come, Lord, and save us!

God in whom we live and move and have our being,
- come teach us that you have made us your own.

You are not far from each of us,
- show yourself to all who search for you.

Father of the poor and consoler of the afflicted,
- set captives free, give joy to those who mourn.

You hate death and love life,
- free all mankind from eternal death.

Closing Prayer
God of forgiveness,
I turn to you in my great weakness
and beg for your help.
Let me feel the joy growing in my heart
as I anticipate your coming.

I hear the message of the prophets of old
and know that the Messiah will bring
new life and new ways of living.

From the humbleness of my life,
help me to grow and bloom
and hear the words
that will change the world.

May the Lord bless us, protect us from all evil and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.