Sunday, November 29, 2009

Advent 2009 - 1st Sunday


"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Entrance Antiphon
To you, my God, I lift my soul,
I trust in you; let me never come to shame.
Do not let my enemies laugh at me.
No one who waits for you is ever put to shame.


Opening Prayer
Let us pray
in Advent time with longing and waiting
for the coming of the Lord.

Father in heaven,
our hearts desire the warmth of your love
and our minds are searching for the light of your Word. Increase our longing for Christ our Savior
and give us the strength to grow in love,
that the dawn of his coming
may find us rejoicing in his presence
and welcoming the light of his truth.

We ask this in the name of Jesus the Lord.

Intercessions

To God our Father, who has given us the grace
to wait in graceful hope for the revelation of
our Lord Jesus Christ, let us make our prayer:
Show us your mercy, Lord.


Sanctify us in mind and body,
- keep us without sin until the coming of your Son.

Make us walk this day in holiness,
- and live upright and devout lives in this world.

May we be clothed in our Lord Jesus Christ,
- and filled with the Holy Spirit.

Lord, help us to stand watchful and ready,
- until your Son is revealed in all his glory.


Closing Prayer
Lord God,
I sense your power, your might
and I stand in awe, painfully aware
of how poor and weak I am before you.

As I begin this Advent journey,
teach me to lift my soul to you
and to turn to you in my fear and sorrow.

Increase in me and make me overflow with love.
Strengthen my heart and help me to stand secure before you.

Fill my heart with the desire for your warm love
and let me welcome the light of your truth.

May the Lord bless us, protect us from all evil and bring us to everlasting life. Amen.