Monday, October 26, 2009

Limerick priest starts new project to combat depression

It’s high time young people were encouraged to talk to each other about life instead of texting and using the internet a Limerick City based priest has claimed.

Speaking this week well-known campaigning priest Fr Joe Young has said, "I have found that so many young people are addicted to texting and also spend so much time on the internet, it is not healthy.”

Fr Joe, who has in the past suffered from depression, recently organised a trip to Lourdes for those suffering from the illness and has urged young people to talk more about their problems.

He said, "I would love to get a house in Limerick where young people, and the not so young people, could meet for a chat. You would be surprised what you could solve over a cup of coffee.”

He added that, “while one in four people suffer from depression there is still a stigma attached to it. Internet and texting that is the dialogue of the depressed. People get addicted and then don't get out and meet people and then we end up with young people with depression who take their own lives.”

He added, "I have no problem in saying I suffered from depression, I got medical help. But I am not alone and I want to say it is wrong for some people to say, oh he is not the full shilling when talking about people with depression. I am not a depressed person, but I do suffer from depression and when I do get help and support from my doctor and friends.”

He has appealed to people to listen, talk and help friends who are suffering from depression.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to us or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that we agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

SIC: CIN