Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Lent 2009 - Holy Tuesday


Daily Lent Prayer

"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer
Father,
may we receive your forgiveness and mercy
as we celebrate the passion and death of the Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation


The second Servant song shapes our reflection today

as we watch that amazing dinner scene on Tuesday of this passion week.

We experience the pain of his knowing
that he will be betrayed and denied.
Yet, the hour he is about to face is the hour of his Glory.
And he promises that where he is going, we will surely follow.

Our desire is to celebrate the gift being offered us.

It is too little, he says,
for you to be my servant,
to raise up the tribes of Jacob,
and restore the survivors of Israel.
I will make you a light to the nations,
that my salvation may reach
to the ends of the earth.
Isaiah 49


Intercessions


Let us pray to Christ our Savior, who redeemed us by his death and resurrection:
Lord, have mercy on us.


You went up to Jerusalem to suffer and so enter into your glory,
- bring your Church to the Passover feast of heaven.

You were lifted high on the cross and pierced by the soldier’s lance,
- heal our wounds.

You made the cross the tree of life,
- give its fruit to those reborn in baptism.

On the cross you forgave the repentant thief,
- forgive us our sins.


Closing Prayer

God of such unwavering love,
how do I "celebrate"
the passion and death of Jesus?


I often want to look the other way
and not watch,
not stay with Jesus in his suffering.


Give me the strength
to see his love with honesty and compassion
and to feel deeply
your own forgiveness and mercy for me.


Help me to understand
how to "celebrate" this week.


I want be able to bring
my weaknesses and imperfections with me
as I journey with Jesus this week,
so aware of his love.