Friday, March 27, 2009

Lent 2009

Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer
Father, our source of life,
your know our weakness.
May we reach out with joy to grasp your hand
and walk more readily in your ways.

We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation
We keep acknowledging that God is the source of our life.

We realize that we have been seeking other sources of life.

We recognize our weakness and turn to God for help.

Though our hearts are being opened up to their depths,

though we cry out to God for help, we are not discouraged.

The Lord is near to broken hearts.

When the just cry out, the Lord hears them,
and from all their distress he rescues them.
The Lord is close to the broken hearted;
and those who are crushed in spirit he saves.

Intercessions
Let us pray to Christ our Savior, who redeemed us by his death and resurrection:
Lord, have mercy on us.

You went up to Jerusalem to suffer and so enter into your glory,
- bring your Church to the Passover feast of heaven.
You were lifted high on the cross and pierced by the soldier's lance,
- heal our wounds.
You made the cross the tree of life,
- give its fruit to those reborn in baptism.
On the cross you forgave the repentant thief,
- forgive us our sins.

Closing Prayer
Loving God of forgiveness,
I come before you humbled and sad
in the face of my own repeated failings.


I hold out my hands as a petitioner would,
asking for mercy.


It is then that I feel you reach out and take my hand
in your loving grasp.


Thank you for the love you pour out on me so lavishly.


Help me to follow more closely
in the path you have set for me,
the path of your Son.