Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Lent 2009


Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

Lord,
watch over your Church,
and guide it with your unfailing love.

Protect us from what could harm us
and lead us to what will save us.

Help us always,
for without you we are bound to fail.


Daily Meditation

Today's lesson is about being on guard against religious hypocrisy -

always a potential trap, as we grow in our desire.

Again, we turn to our God for help, our God whose love is "unfailing."

To the upright
I will show the saving power of God.
Why do you recite my statutes,
and profess my covenant with your mouth,
Though you hate discipline
and cast my words behind you?
To the upright
I will show the saving power of God.
Psalm 50

Intercessions

God the Father has given us his only Son, the Word made man,
to be our food and our life. Let us thank him and pray:
May the word of Christ dwell among us in all its richness.

Help us in this Lenten season to listen more frequently to your word,
-that we may celebrate the solemnity of Easter with greater love for Christ, our paschal teacher,
-that we may encourage those in doubt and error to follow what is true and good.

Enable us to enter more deeply into the mystery of the Anointed One,
-that our lives may reveal him more effectively.

Purify and renew your Church in this time of salvation,
-that it may give an even greater witness to you.

Closing Prayer


God in heaven and in my life,
guide me and protect me.


I so often believe I can save myself
and I always end in failure.


Lead me with your love away from harm
and guide me on the right path.


May your Spirit inspire the Church
and make us an instrument of your love and guidance.


Thank you for your care for me.

Amen.