Monday, March 23, 2009

Lent 2009

Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips,and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

Father, creator,
you give the world new life by your sacraments.
May we, your Church, grow in your life
and continue to receive your help on earth.

Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation

We now begin the second part of Lent.

The Gospel according to John will be our guide.

Before we enter into the controversy and the sense of being in a court room,

we have a wonderful story of a healing.

In this gospel, the acts of power that Jesus works

are the "signs" that help us see who he is.

We are reminded that he is the one who will give us new life.

Lo, I am about to create
new heavens and a new earth.
Isaiah 65:17 The First Reading

Intercessions

Blessed be God the Father for his gift of this sacrifice of praise.
In the spirit of this Lenten season, let us pray:
Instruct us, Lord, in the ways of your kingdom.

God of power and mercy, give us the spirit of prayer and repentance,
- with burning love for you and for all mankind.


Help us to work with you in making all things new in Christ,
- and in spreading justice and peace throughout the world.


Teach us the meaning and value of creation,
- so that we may join its voice to ours as we sing your praise.


Forgive us for failing to see Christ in the poor,
the distressed and the troublesome.


- and for our failure to reverence your Son in their persons.

Closing Prayer


God who created me,
You offer me new life through your Son
and through the gift of your sacraments.


While I see new life all around me,
I don't always recognize the new life you offer me.


Help me to grow this Lent in an awareness
of the gifts you place in my life
and in a greater appreciation for your care.


Give me the courage to ask for help.

(Posting 2,100 of 2009)