Friday, March 20, 2009

Lent 2009

Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips,and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

Merciful Father,
fill our hearts with your love
and keep us faithful to the gospel of Christ.
Give us the grace to rise above our human weakness.

Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation

Our lesson today reminds us again of God's love and Jesus' desire
that we love one another as we are loved.
On this journey, we are learning why this is a challenge for us.
We are experiencing our human weaknesses and practicing ways to be freer,
to open our hearts more fully to God's love
and to give ourselves in fidelity, every day.

You ask us to express our thanks by self-denial.
We are to master our sinfulness
and conquer our pride.
We are to show to those in need
your goodness to ourselves.
Preface for Lent III


Intercessions

Thanks be to Christ the Lord, who brought us life by his death on the cross.
With our whole heart let us ask him:

By your death raise us to life.

Teacher and Savior, you have shown us your fidelity and made us a new creation by your passion,
- keep us from falling again into sin.
Help us to deny ourselves today,
- and not deny those in need.


May we receive this day of penance as your gift,
- and give it back to you through works of mercy.


Master our rebellious hearts,
- and teach us generosity.

Closing Prayer

God of Mercy,
I feel my heart overflowing with your tenderness.


I sense your loving touch deep within my soul.


I ask for your help in my weakness
that I might be faithful to your word
and I am so grateful
that your mercy for my failings
is as strong as your unbounded love for me.