Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lent 2009

Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer
Lord,
during this Lenten season
nourish us with your word of life
and make us one in love and prayer.

Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,

who lives and reigns with you
and the Holy Spirit,one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation

This was a special liturgy in the early church.

On this day the first of the Scrutinies was celebrated.


We can see why the instruction is about fidelity, but tone of the prayer is one of unity.


On this day when the community prayed so earnestly for those about to be baptized,
we can feel the power of asking that we be made one.

We might reflect upon what it is that divides us,
and what I might do to let the Spirit of Unity draw us together.

I want all of them to be one with each other,
just as I am one with you and you are one with me.
I also want them to be one with us.
Then the people of this world will believe that you sent me.

Jesus' prayer at the Last Supper for
"for everyone else who will have faith because of what my followers will say about me. "

John 17:21

Intercessions
Blessed be God, the giver of salvation, who decreed that mankind should become a new creation in himself, when all would be made new.

With great confidence let us ask him:
Lord, renew us in your Spirit.

Lord, you promised a new heaven and a new earth; renew us daily through your Spirit,
- that we may enjoy your presence for ever in the heavenly Jerusalem.


Help us to work with you to make this world alive with your Spirit,
- and to build on earth a city of justice, love and peace.

Free us from all negligence and sloth,
- and give us joy in your gifts of grace.

Deliver us from evil,
- and from slavery to the senses, which blinds us to goodness.

Closing Prayer
God, you love me as your own child.


May I bend my life and will toward you
so that I might accept your teaching and guidance.


I am so grateful for your support in my life,
now and in the eternal life you are preparing for me.


I beg for your help and Spirit in my life today.