Monday, March 09, 2009

Lent 2009

Daily Lent Prayer

"Lord, open my lips,and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

God our Father,
teach us to find new life through penance.

Keep us from sin,
and help us live by your commandment of love.


Daily Meditation

Today's lesson is about mercy -

God's mercy for us first, and our mercy toward others.

We renew our penance -
all the ways we are trying

to change the patterns of our life that need healing.

Lord, do not deal with us as our sins deserve.
Remember not against us the iniquities of the past;
may your compassion quickly come to us,
for we are brought very low.


Lord, do not deal with us as our sins deserve.


Help us, O God our savior,
because of the glory of your name;
Deliver us and pardon our sins
for your name's sake.


Lord, do not deal with us as our sins deserve.
Psalm 79

Intercessions


Blessed be God the Father for his gift of this sacrifice of praise.
In the spirit of this Lenten season, let us pray:
Instruct us, Lord, in the ways of your kingdom.

God of power and mercy, give us the spirit of prayer and repentance,

-with burning love for you and all mankind.


Help us to work with you in making all things new in Christ,
-and in spreading justice and peace throughout the world.


Teach us the meaning and value of creation,
-so that we may join its voice to ours as we sing your praise.


Forgive us for failing to see Christ in the poor, the distressed and the troublesome,
-and for our failure to reverence your Son in their persons.

Closing Prayer


Lord,
your commandment of love is so simple
and so challenging.


Help me to let go of my pride,
to be humble in my penance.


I want only to live the way you ask me to love,
to love the way you ask me to live.


I ask this through your son, Jesus,
who stands at my side
today and always.

Amen.