Thursday, March 05, 2009

Lent 2009


Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

Father,
without you we can do nothing.
By your spirit help us to know what is right
and to be eager in doing your will.

We ask this through our Lord, Jesus Christ, Your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation

In today's lesson we learn more about prayer.
We are touched by the bold, full-hearted prayer of Esther.

We hear with a freshness how sincerely Jesus invites us to:
ask and receive
seek and find
knock and find the door opened.

Dependence is not a virtue we ordinarily admire.

Today we grow in our sense that we need God's grace very much -
even to know what is right -
but certainly to fan our desires into a flame.

Lord, on the day I called for help,
you answered me.
Psalm 138



Intercessions

Christ our Lord came among us as the light of the world, that we might walk in his light, and not in the darkness of death.
Let us praise him and cry out to him:
Let your word be a lamp to guide us.

God of mercy, help us today to grow in your likeness,
- that we who sinned in Adam may rise again in Christ.

Let your word be a lamp to guide us,
- that we may live the truth and grow always in your love.

Teach us to be faithful in seeking the common good for your sake,
- that your light may shine on the whole human family by means of your Church.

Touch our hearts to seek your friendship more and more,
- and to make amends for our sins against your wisdom and goodness.

Closing Prayer


Lord,
I’m not always eager to do your will.


I’d often much rather do my own will.


Please be with me on this Lenten journey
and help me to remember
that your own spirit can guide me
in the right direction.


I want to “fix” my weaknesses
but the task seems overwhelming.


But I know that with your help,
anything can be done.


With a grateful heart,
I acknowledge your love
and know that without you,
I can do nothing.