Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Lent 2009

Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

Father,
look on us, your children.

Through the discipline of Lent
help us to grow in our desire for you.

We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.


Daily Meditation


We are learning the intimate connection
between the "discipline" we choose these days,
and the growth of our desire.

If our desire for our Lord is weak,
if it has to compete with so many other desires that choke it out,
then we need to re-form our desiring.

We want to be disciples -
those who love Jesus, are with Jesus in our desires,
and choose to follow Jesus.

In today's lesson we learn the Lord's Prayer again.


As children, we turn to our Loving Father in prayer.

Intercessions


Praise to Christ, who has given us himself as the bread from heaven.
Let us pray to him, saying:
Jesus, you feed and heal our souls; come to strengthen us.

Lord, feed us at the banquet of the Eucharist,
- with all the gifts of your paschal sacrifice.

Give us a perfect heart to receive your word,
- that we may bring forth fruit in patience.

Make us eager to work with you in building a better world,
- so that it may listen to your Church and its gospel of peace.

We confess, Lord, that we have sinned,
- wash us clean by your gift of salvation.

Closing Prayer

Father of my soul,
Mother of my heart,
I know your love for me is limitless beyond imagining.

You care for me as a loving parent.

Through my smallest Lenten sacrifices,
help me to become less selfish
and more aware of your ways.

Fan the flame of my desire
to draw ever closer to you.

Guide me to seek your love.