Monday, March 02, 2009

Lent 2009


Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

God our Saviour,
bring us back to you
and fill our minds with your wisdom.

May we be enriched by our observance of Lent.

Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation

We repeat our desire that God bring us home from our wandering.


We know that in the confusion that surrounds us and can fill us,
we need the gift of Wisdom.

It is fitting that our very first "lesson" in our faith,
is the last judgment scene that Jesus paints for us.


We will be judged on whether we:
fed the hungry
welcomed the stranger
clothed the naked
comforted the sick
visited the imprisoned.
It is powerful to re-learn this wisdom -
Jesus identifies with each of these "least" cared for.

Who might we feed, welcome, clothe, comfort or visit this week?
As my heart might "resist" this mission,
I might beg to be brought back, with all my heart.

Intercessions

Praise to Jesus, our Saviour; by his death he has opened for us the way of salvation.

Let us ask him:
Lord, guide your people to walk in your ways.


God of mercy, you gave us new life through baptism,

- make us grow day by day in your likeness.


May our generosity today bring joy to those in need,

- in helping them may we find you.


Help us to do what is good, right and true in your sight,

- and to seek you always with undivided hearts.

Forgive our sins against the unity of your family,
- make us one in heart and spirit.

Closing Prayer

Loving God,
you call us back to you with all of our hearts.

I feel your call for me deep in my heart
and I know you want me back
as much as I want to return.

Please, Lord,
give me the wisdom to know how to return.

Make my journey back to you this Lent
one of grace, forgiveness and gentle love.