Thursday, February 19, 2009

St Mary's Father Peter Kennedy brands replacement 'religious scab'

A REBEL Catholic priest who is facing the sack by the Vatican has described the man sent in by Brisbane's archbishop to replace him as a religious scab.

Father Peter Kennedy, the parish priest at St Mary's in South Brisbane, said he had been given until noon yesterday to resign or be removed.

But Fr Kennedy last night said there had been no sign of a decree from the Archbishop of Brisbane, John Bathersby, announcing his sacking.

He is adamant he will not resign and remains determined to conduct weekend masses.

The 71-year-old rebel says the Dean of the area, Father Ken Howell, who has been appointed by Archbishop Bathersby as the new administrator of St Mary's parish, intended to say Mass at 7am on Sunday.

"But I'm not sure who's going to be there because we've never had Mass at 7am on Sunday before," he said.

"I'm a bit afraid a rent-a-crowd like the Burpengary Opus Dei type possibly could turn up.

"I'm hoping they won't come because they could cause conflict, and we don't want conflict.

"I intend to have our liturgy at 9am as normal on Sunday morning and there'll be a thousand people there, I'd say.

"The people are not going to receive Fr Howell. He's naive enough to think he can walk in there on Sunday and the people will welcome him.

"Well, they won't. I know the people, I've been there 28 years - the people want me there and I've helped build that community into what it is today. And then this guy comes in, like a religious scab."

Fr Howell yesterday said he would preside at all masses at St Mary's this Sunday and would "not be standing in the way" of two concerts that had been previously booked in the church for this weekend.

"If Fr Kennedy is present at the masses, I would like to invite him to concelebrate with me," he said.

"I have sought to contact Fr Kennedy over the past few days, however I've yet to speak with him. I'm hopeful that we can speak before the weekend."

Fr Howell said he had retained his responsibilities as Dean of St Stephen's Cathedral, as well as taking on St Mary's, and he would not be able to lead all the masses in the historical church.

"My position is to ensure that there are priests who will be leading mass at St Mary's and I will, from time to time, be there," Fr Howell said, acknowledging a succession of priests might not be welcomed by the congregation.

"I'm looking at that very carefully to make sure the priests who do come will have a great sympathy and connection with the community."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce

(Source: CCAU)