Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Power clarifies comments

Canberra auxiliary Bishop Pat Power has issued a statement clarifying earlier remarks on the events at Brisbane's St Mary's parish.

"The Canberra Times report of my comments on the South Brisbane parish might have appeared as my undermining Archbishop Bathersby's role in a very complex and difficult arena," Bishop Power said in his statement.

"In fact, in my conversation with the journalist, Graham Downie, I sought to do the very opposite."

Part of the report read "Bishop Power described Archbishop Bathersby as Australia's most open and accommodating archbishop, who was committed to dialogue."

"I also expressed my understanding of the archbishop's insistence on compliance with the universal Church's regulations on such things as the wearing of liturgical vestments, the use of authorised Eucharistic prayers and the restriction of the homily at Mass to priests and deacons," Bishop Power continued.

"At the same time, I gave voice to my admiration for parishes, such as St Mary's South Brisbane, for their reaching out to homosexual people and other groups of people who often feel marginalised by the Church and mainstream society.

"I think that all would agree that many people who find a haven in St Mary's are close to the heart of Jesus.

"Trying to find a balance in such matters means walking a fine line. It is my hope that in all such situations the will of God can be found through dialogue, mutual respect and a humble search for the truth," he concluded.

A plea for balance and inclusion

The Canberra Times report (3 November) of my comments on the South Brisbane parish might have appeared as my undermining Archbishop Bathersby's role in a very complex and difficult arena.

In fact, in my conversation with the journalist, Graham Downie, I sought to do the very opposite.

Part of the report read "Bishop Power described Archbishop Bathersby as Australia's most open and accommodating archbishop, who was committed to dialogue."

I also expressed my understanding of the archbishop's insistence on compliance with the universal church's regulations on such things as the wearing of liturgical vestments, the use of authorised Eucharistic prayers and the restriction of the homily at Mass to priests and deacons.

At the same time, I gave voice to my admiration for parishes, such as St Mary's South Brisbane, for their reaching out to homosexual people and other groups of people who often feel marginalised by the Church and mainstream society.

I think that all would agree that many people who find a haven in St Mary's are close to the heart of Jesus.

Trying to find a balance in such matters means walking a fine line.

It is my hope that in all such situations the will of God can be found through dialogue, mutual respect and a humble search for the truth.

Bishop Pat Power
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce

(Source: CTHN)