Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fairfield priest apologizes for his 'poor judgement'

One week after stirring controversy by ordering a parishioner to remove her vehicle covered in pro-Barack Obama slogans from church property, a Fairfield priest on Sunday apologized to the parishioner and his entire flock.

According to a press release from the Sacramento Catholic Diocese, the Rev. Sebastian Meyer, pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church in Fairfield, read out a statement to parishioners at weekend masses in which he said his comments were misinterpreted and apologized for "poor judgment."

"Last weekend, an incident took place where I asked a parishioner to move their vehicle because I thought it was parked illegally and hindered access to the church. I identified the car by describing the Obama for president signs that were on it," the statement read.

"The fact is I overreacted, and some of you, including the owner of the car, interpreted my remarks as critical of President-elect Obama, when all I really meant to do -- and should have done -- was make a simple announcement asking the owner to move their car.

"I have sent a letter of apology to the owner of the car and I want to apologize to all of you, as well, for my outburst and for the poor judgment I showed in expressing myself. I never meant to be disrespectful of anyone. I hope you can forgive me for any offense I may have caused."

Elizabeth Caster, the parishioner whose vehicle was ordered moved, has said Meyer's comments were more than just an effort to have a car moved. She said he humiliated her in front of the congregation, saying from the pulpit, "We cannot have a car with Obama signs written on it on these premises. And I don't care who Obama is."

She said the priest followed her outside and when she attempted to move the vehicle to a parking space, told her she couldn't park anywhere on church property and ordered her to leave.

Meyer has denied that claim and an attempt to talk to him face to face ended when he attempted to grab the reporter's notebook away in an incident later reported to police.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce

(Source: TRC)

(Posting 11,500 since 15/12/'06)