The first-such civil marriage ceremony took place at Fingal’s County Hall in Swords, Co Dublin.

And the happy couple who tied the knot in the flower-festooned chamber were Annemarie Delaney and Brian McLoughlin from Howth, Co Dublin.

Everything was perfect, except the weather, but Annemarie and Brian, who have two children, Jane, 13, and Emily, 7, did not care.

“I really do not care whether the weather clears up or not. I really don’t. I have married the man that I love and have spent almost 17 years with,” a tearful Annemarie declared.

“I am just so happy because I have the people I want to be with on the day so the atmosphere will be perfect, even if the weather isn’t.”

Green Party Cllr Joe Corr lobbied to make the chamber available for civil marriages following the change in legislation allowing public venues to be used.

Councillors voted in favour last March and the registrar general subsequently approved the venue.

The chamber is airy and modern, can accommodate 60 guests, is free of charge and available weekdays, subject to council business.

Facilities to play recorded music are not available.

The council is also anxious that no confetti, rice or similar material is thrown within the precincts of the hall.

The couple were greeted by mayor Michael O’Donovan and afterwards went to a nearby hotel to celebrate with more than 100 guests.