Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pope thanks Australia for WYD

Pope Benedict XVI has warmly thanked Australia for the welcome it gave him during World Youth Day in Sydney last month.

"I hasten to express to you once more my deep gratitude for the affectionate reception which I received from you and all your fellow citizens," the Pope has written in a message received by Governor-General Michael Jeffery on Monday.

"I was honoured by the official welcoming ceremony at Government House and most appreciative of the personal welcome which you extended to me at your (Sydney) residence, Admiralty House," Pope Benedict said.

"Please also accept my heartfelt thanks for the many courtesies afforded me throughout my visit.

"I am grateful to the various civil and military authorities of Australia, as well as the residents and business people of Sydney whose spirit of collaboration helped to ensure the warm welcome of the pilgrims and the smooth progress of my visit," he said.

"May the Lord bless all of you abundantly for your kindness and hospitality!"

Pilgrims from more than 170 nations came to Sydney for the week-long World Youth Day festival, whose events were watched live by an estimated international TV audience of 500 million.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sacerdos