Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Cardinal Pell uncompromising on Jones

There are reports Cardinal George Pell's determination to deny compensation to an abuse victim was uncompromising.

According to correspondence seen by the Herald, George Pell, the Archbishop of Sydney, took the Jones case particularly personally, rejecting internal advice that payment be made.

Contrary to his investigator's advice, Cardinal Pell wrote to Jones on February 14, 2003, advising him that his complaint was unproved, and that no other allegation of sexual assault had been made against Goodall.

On the same day, Pell wrote to the second victim upholding his complaint.

But Cardinal Pell, has denied trying to cover up allegations of sexual abuse against Fr Goodall.

When the allegations against Fr Goodall were investigated by the Church and police, the priest was stood down.

In a personal letter to Mr Jones dated August 6, Cardinal Pell apologised for a letter that was sent to the then 29 year old Jones that stated he was the only victim of Fr Goodall.

This was later proved to be untrue.

"Following up on what I said after the press conference, I have sought advice from my advisory on professional standards," Cardinal Pell wrote.

"I have asked the committee to advise me on an appropriate formal response to you. That committee has now had its first meeting and I am expecting their advice within a few weeks.

"I will communicate with you again as soon as I receive that advice. I wish to restate that I am happy to meet with you if that is your wish.

"Also, pending the recommendations of my advisory committee, I have asked the chancellor of the archdiocese, Fr John Usher, to make himself available to speak with you if you feel that a conversation with him would be helpful."

Mr Jones said he was still not convinced of Cardinal Pell's sincerity.

"He wrote that he wanted to meet with me, but he doesn't want to debate the facts or discuss the issues," Mr Jones said.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sacerdos