Friday, July 11, 2008

Sotto Voce...Imithe Ar Feadh

My dear bloggies, I write to advise that I am taking a few days out and there will be no postings here until early next week.

The time has arrived for this Padre to take a break and time for mind, body and spirit to engage and interact.

If I may share a few words with you all...in the last few weeks, and more so than ever considered possible, I have been so busy as to almost forget that I am a human first and foremost.

As with all humans, I too need to realise that in this day and age, living is being overtaken by existing...we are just surviving until the next day...

Many will understand that being a priest involves more than just the average 9-5 routine whilst also not having to worry about family life.

But it brings its own issues such as being stretched even more to cover the basic sacramental obligations and requirements and also being constantly on call, with only snatches of breaks. These breaks then allow for a time when one can go away and re-connect with God, thereby also with oneself which is instrumental to being a priest.

Whether a priest is male or female, gay or straight, black or white etc etc, we all cease to exist as such when God no longer remains a part of us and central to our ministry in very much the same way that in married life, the love that binds starts to loosen.

Action should be taken to ensure that such loosening is stopped and mended, but also that it does not happen again and go unchecked.

Many young people are going to be at WYD in Australia and no doubt will renew their relationship with God, parishes will pray that it has the desired effect therefore uniting in prayer with God and some of us will now manage to get our break as well.

Personally, I know that this time for me is my most personal of times with God, and His with me no doubt. I ask that we both get from each other the fruits of our friendship.

God bless you all.

Sotto Voce