Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bishop to be ordained Monday

Monsignor Michael Duca is prepared for a big change as he moves to Louisiana from his native Dallas.

The bishop-elect of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Shreveport has always lived in Texas, but what amounts to a big change is also an exciting change in his life, Duca said.

His ordination is set for noon Monday at the Shreveport Convention Center. After that, the new bishop said, his main priority is to get to know the Shreveport diocese.

"I’ve read the five-year plan, I’ve read the history, but none of that teaches you about the diocese until you get to know the people. I need to get out, and that’s going to take some time to get to all the parishes and visit and meet people, and get a feel for the church communities."

Duca’s appointment by Pope Benedict XVI was announced in April. He fills a vacancy left by Bishop William Friend’s retirement in December 2006.

Duca's schedule is still in development, but he plans to be in Monroe at St. Matthew Catholic Church for Mass on June 21.

"My hope is to get around to as many places as I can."

As he gets to know the people, Duca said he will look to them to find out what the diocese needs and wants. "My first goal is to get to know the priests and people of the diocese and let them tell me what the strengths are, what the weaknesses are, what needs attention."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce