Saturday, March 08, 2008

Priest longed to hold and cuddle teenage boy

A FORMER Hampshire Catholic priest told a court he had hoped to share "hugs and cuddles" with a teenage boy who he had met two years earlier during a pilgrimage to Italy.

Brian Rutledge, 69, of Southampton, has admitted one charge of indecent assault but denied attempting to commit another serious sexual offence.

The incident is alleged to have happened at Rutledge's former home at the Park Place Pastoral Centre in Wickham more than 25 years ago.

Rutledge said that he invited the 17- year-old to his home after developing a friendship with the boy.

The pair had first met on various church camps and were part of a group that took part in a pilgrimage to Turin in 1979, where one night they cuddled while naked in bed.

It was here that Rutledge, who has since retired from the church, became sexually attracted to the boy, the court was told.

Taking to the witness box he told a Southampton Crown Court jury: "I longed to be close to him and to hold him.

"I wanted him to come close. I think I said let's take our clothes off.'"

He said nothing further happened.

The court was told how the now retired priest went on to visit the alleged victim, now aged 43, at his college and met his parents.

Asked whether he expected any sexual activity to take place when the alleged victim came to visit in 1981, Rutledge replied: "I was hoping that I could continue the hugs and the cuddles."

He said a repeat of what happened during the Turin pilgrimage took place with the alleged victim, who was then aged 17.

Asked whether he felt there was anything wrong with his behaviour Rutledge said: "I realised I was someone like a teacher, a person of prominence in (the victim's) life. I knew I should not be doing it but my needs drove me on."

The court was also told how the former priest, of Waldegrave Close, Woolston, had undergone therapy for his feelings of sexual attraction to young boys.

He admitted carrying out unlawful activities on between 12 and 15 boys before 1990 but said that following his therapy his previous conduct "horrified"

him.

The jury in the case was expected to retire to begin its deliberations today.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce