Thursday, March 20, 2008

Catholics: Have You Thanked Your Priest Lately? (Contribution)

We continue to be bombarded with negative reports involving Catholic clergy these days. Well, not here. The activities of Catholic priests are underappreciated and under praised. They perform a job that is difficult, lonely and demanding on their physical, spiritual and emotional lives.

Acting in persona Christi, is a consuming thing which requires a long journey of prayer, education and contemplation. This journey frequently takes the priest to places he had never expected, people that he never even thought he would know, and jobs he never imagined he would perform.

When I think of the many priests that have positively influenced my life, I am thankful to have known such a colorful cast of characters that have kept me faithful to the Church and her teachings.

Without the priest, we would have no sacraments. The Eucharist the source and summit of our Catholic lives would not be there. All of the other Sacraments we frequently take for granted would be gone. Our lives as Catholics would be shattered without the seven sacraments that bring us into daily participation with God's divine love. All of the theological aspects we take for granted would be gone. Initiation into the faith, forgiveness from sins, spiritual strengthening while sick, marital conventual expression, links of Apostolic succession, the imposition of the Holy Spirit and Eucharistic nourishment all vanish without our Catholic priests.

Now is a good time to affirm their importance, celebrate their Holy Orders and reaffirm support for all priests that daily bring to a fragile world the love of Jesus.

I think of the many priests that have influenced me in life. Good influences, holy men with countless talents as well as human shortcomings. The aroma of cigar smoke always brings Msgr. Joseph Waldron to mind. He was never without his beloved cigar. He gave me my first job, answering the phone and the door at Saint Gabriel Rectory.

Other priestly men are always with me as well. Rev.George Feider, O.Praem., a Norbertine priest that guided me through the complicated mazes of high school course selections as well as the guttural complications of studying German. No matter what I wanted to do, he always loved me and directed me to the right choice of doors.

I can never forget the person of Rev. Arthur Taborelli (recently returned to God). He kept me on spiritual track during my seminary years. His theological explanations and spiritual suggestions were always surrounded with humor but wrapped in pragmatic and realistic understandings of the Gospel message. His colorful personality always brought a welcome "cheer" to an otherwise dreary moment.

Little things always remind me of these men of prayer, learning and faith. Cigar smoke, German umlauts, Mennen aftershave or the feared ablative absolute (remember your latin?) always bring these Christs back to my mind. Their lives illuminated and inspired me to study philosophy and theology. Regardless of each priest's influence and personality they were all men of prayer and Eucharist. The celebration of the sacraments was always the primary purpose for them. They brought Christ's love and teachings to the world.

Priests today, no less colorful accomplish the same tasks, with different methods. Those priests touch me as well through their daily ministry. The parish's are different but Christ is always brought into view at Divine Mercy Parish, Saint Madelines, St.Frances Cabrini, St. John the Evangelist and Saint Gabriel. Men that make a difference on a daily basis bring Christ to the world.

That is why we need to support and celebrate with them and pray for them. Whether we realize it or not, priests offer many facets to our lives that are being polished into theological diamonds.

Sometimes we think of our priests as out of step and out dated.

However, always keep in mind these guys are: Jesus among us. May times, because of our own human nature we forget that the priest is human as well.

We take for granted the Church's Sacraments.

A few moments of thought make me realize what an empty life I would have without sacramental grace.

I appreciate and thank God daily for our Catholic priests and the great mission they accomplish.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce