Friday, February 08, 2008

Lent 2008 - Friday (Week 1)


"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."


We are still in the first four days of Lent.
Today and tomorrow we read the 58th Chapter
of the book of the prophet Isaiah.

These powerful words have such a contemporary message.

True fasting will lead us to act justly and caring
for those who are most in need.

On every Friday of Lent we abstain from meat
as a sign of our common penance.

It represents our efforts to abstain from
- do without - so many other patterns
that get in the way of our happiness and wholeness.


Lord,
I know how much you love me.
It’s hard for me to feel it sometimes,
but I know your love is always with me.

Help me to use your love as a way
to persevere in my Lenten intentions.
I am weak, but I know with your help,
I can use these small sacrifices in my life to draw closer to you.