Sunday, January 20, 2008

Paisley at service led by priest

Ian Paisley, a long-time opponent of ecumenism, has taken part in a service led by a Catholic priest.

It was held in the People's Park in Ballymena last month to mark the centenary of scouting in mid-Antrim.

Fr Paul Symonds, who took part, said the event was non-denominational and "was not an ecumenical or Roman Catholic service".

Mr Paisley said he had not consented to any such service and said arrangements "had been completely changed".

Fr Symonds said: "It was not an ecumenical service, it was a non-denominational service at which I had chosen the scripture. I led the prayers and Dr Paisley was present and gave an address."

In a statement Mr Paisley said: "I was never officially told that the service's order had been changed and I would not have agreed to take part in an ecumenical service. I was quite happy to speak to the scouts and also to stand with them when they took their pledge of allegiance to the Queen."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce