Friday, December 14, 2007

Pope declares his solidarity with Venezuelan Cardinal

Pope Benedict XVI forwarded a short letter to Venezuelan Jorge Cardinal Urosa Savino, showing his solidarity in the face of the attacks the Catholic leader suffered recently.

Over the last weekend, Cardinal Urosa Savino claimed he came under verbal and physical attack by a group of people at Bolívar Square, downtown Caracas.

"When I was leaving the Archdiocese in my car, with my driver, I was verbally and physically attacked. They did not punch me, as they beat and kicked the automobile," Cardinal Urosa Savino explained in a communiqué.

"With a deep concern, as I have been informed of the attack aimed at Your Eminence by a violent group last December 7, I am quickly voicing my sincere proximity and solidarity in these regrettable circumstances."

In the letter, published on the official website of the Venezuelan Bishops' Conference (CEV), Pope Benedict XVI ensured he would remind Cardinal Urosa Savino in his prayers "so that you feel encouraged and inspired to remain true to the pursuance of your pastoral mission."

"As a sign of comfort and respect, I am sincerelly sending you the apostolic blessing, which I would like to extend to the priests and the faithful of this dear nation.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce