Friday, October 12, 2007

The Luminous Mysteries - The Institution of the Eucharist

During the meal Jesus took bread, blessed it, broke it, and gave it to his disciples.

“Take this and eat it,” he said.

“This is my body.”

Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them. “All of you must drink from it,” he said, “for this is my blood, the blood of the covenant, to be poured out in behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink this fruit of the vine from now until the day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s reign.”

Then, after singing songs of praise, they walked out to the Mount of Olives.

A final mystery of light is the institution of the Eucharist, in which Christ offers his body and blood as food under the signs of bread and wine, and testifies “to the end” his love for humanity (Jn 13:1), for whose salvation he will offer himself in sacrifice. (RVM, 21)