Saturday, September 08, 2007

Respect the Catechism, Respect homosexuals (Contribution)

At first I couldn’t believe it.

It just didn’t make sense!

How could so many people be wrong?

Maybe a little background would help.

A couple of weeks ago, I was browsing through my personal copy of The Catechism of the Catholic Church when I came across the section that deals with homosexuality.

I almost didn’t read it, because I was positive that it was going to speak as unkindly about homosexuals as many Christians do.

On a whim I read it anyway, and I was shocked.

The Catechism, the holy guidebook to all that is Catholic, actually says that Catholics should treat homosexuals with kindness and respect.

I’ll save you the trouble of reading it yourself with a direct quote from the book: “[Homosexuals] must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided.”

From what I’ve seen, both on these campuses and across the nation, it would seem that many Catholics are not aware of this particular section of the Catechism.

I’m not trying to single out Catholics either; I’ve seen Christians of all denominations attacking homosexuals, privately and publically.

The discrimination, the hatred, the anger that has been directed at homosexuals rivals that of the hatred that used to be directed at black Americans.

It’s wrong. It’s immoral. It’s not Catholic.

In fact, Catholics, more than any other denomination, should be especially compassionate to homosexuals. You may not know this little tidbit, but in early American history, Catholics were despised and discriminated against as well.

Mobs formed, houses were burnt down, and rioting took place in the streets, all in the name of anti-Catholic sentiment.

Even as recently as the 1960 presidential race, there was a serious concern over whether or not John F. Kennedy would make a good president.

After all, he was Catholic – if he were elected, he’d take orders from the Pope.

In fact, the only group that treated Catholics and homosexuals “equally” was the Ku Klux Klan – they hated Catholics and homosexuals with equal passion.

I’m not saying Catholics across the world should encourage homosexuality, but you don’t have to hate homosexuals.

They deserve better than that, and if you are Catholic, just remember that your great-grandparents faced the same discrimination in America that homosexuals are now facing today.

So step up to the task and encourage fair treatment for everyone. It’s the Catholic way.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce