Monday, May 21, 2007

Il Papa Appeals To Palestinians, Israelis

Pope Benedict has called on Palestinian factions to end clashes in Gaza and on Israel to end its armed intervention which is "provoking the bloody deterioration of the situation".

AsiaNews reports that the pope appealed to Palestinian and Israeli authorities together with the international community to relaunch peace negotiations.

"I urge an end to this tragic violence, while I express my solidarity with and closeness to the tried Palestinian and Israeli populations, whom I assure have a place in my prayers," the pope said.

"I appeal to all of the Palestinain Authorities, to their sense of responsibility so that, through dialogue and with determination, they may return to the arduous journey of mutual understanding, and in doing so neutralize those who promote violence," Pope Benedict continued.

"I invite the Israeli government to moderation and I exhort the International community to multiply its efforts to relaunch peace negotiations. May the Lord inspire and support those who work for peace!"

Speaking on the Feast of the Ascension, which is celebrated in the church as World Day for Social Communications, the pope also criticised the role of the media which often "competes against the school, the Church and even the family".

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce