Sunday, May 20, 2007

Cardinal Vlk Remains Head Of Czech Catholic Church

Cardinal Miloslav Vlk will stay at the head of the Czech Catholic Church for another two years, public Czech Radio said today, adding that Pope Benedict XVI has not accepted his resignation.

Vlk had to hand in his resignation which every bishop is obliged to do when he turns 75. Vlk was 75 on Thursday.

He said that he perceives the rejection of his resignation as a satisfaction.

"I think that many expected me to leave. Because they considered me an obstacle in ceratin negotiations, it is definitely a satisfaction for me that I remain here," Vlk told the radio.

He said that those opposed to him will have "to reconcile themselves with that I will continue to participate in the negotiations as far as my powers allow it."

Vlk became Czech primate in March 1991 when he was appointed Archbishop of Prague. He was appointed cardinal in November 1994.

Vlk was a close collaborator of the late Pope John Paul II. He took part in the conclave in the Vatican and in the election of Pope Benedict XVI.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce