Tuesday, April 03, 2007

RC Priest - 'I was disgusted at myself'

An alcoholic Catholic priest had admitted having sexual relations with a Polish student whose body was found under his chapel floor.

Father Gerry Nugent (pic'd here arriving to court), of Glasgow's St Patrick's Church, said he felt "shame" and "disgust" with himself and admitted he had abused his position of trust.

The 63-year-old said sexual intimacy between the two happened "about three or four times" but he denied being in love with Angelika Kluk.

He told the High Court in Edinburgh the relationship with the 23-year-old happened in August and September 2005 and he felt better with himself when it ended.

Questioned by Dorothy Bain QC, prosecuting, he admitted to the sexual relationship, saying: "The sexual intimacy happened about three or four times."

He continued: "I felt shame. I was disgusted at myself. I knew I was wrong and I wanted to make it right.

"I took full responsibility. Angelika's not here to give her side but I knew it was wrong. I knew I was doing wrong and I was guilty.

"I felt terrible and I knew it had to stop so that part of the relationship stopped."

Father Nugent - giving evidence at the trial of Peter Tobin - also admitted to being an alcoholic.

Tobin, 60, denies raping and murdering the student and hiding her body under the floor of St Patrick's in September last year.

He is accused of attacking Miss Kluk between September 24 and September 29 last year.

It is alleged he placed a piece of cloth in her mouth, covered her mouth with tape, bound her hands and raped her.

He is accused of concealing the student's body after beating her on the head with a piece of wood, or something similar, and striking her repeatedly with a knife.

Tobin - who admitted having sex with the student - also denies attempting to defeat the ends of justice and breach of the peace.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Disclaimer

No responsibility or liability shall attach itself to either myself or to the blogspot ‘Clerical Whispers’ for any or all of the articles placed here.

The placing of an article hereupon does not necessarily imply that I agree or accept the contents of the article as being necessarily factual in theology, dogma or otherwise.

Sotto Voce