Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Holy Week - Spy Wednesday

Spy Wednesday

4th. April - 12th. Station of the Cross

Upon the cross He hangs now, the most abject and despised of all men, the butt for vile jests, a common mark for all to hurl their jibes at.

There, He hangs in agony no human lips can tell, no mind conceive, an impostor, a vile hypocrite, a failure.

‘He came to make Himself a King! See, we have crowned His brow with a royal sparkling diadem.

He sought a kingdom! From that elevated throne, let Him look upon the land which will never be His now.

He threatened our Scribes with woes and punishments, let Him look to His own fate and if He has that power which some say was His, let Him come down now from the cross and we too shall believe in His word.’

Reflection

If I have resolved to nail myself to the cross, let me bear ever in mind that Our Lord is on the other side of it. When I am tempted to come down, let me stir up my courage by recalling this scene of Calvary and resolve after the example of my Lord and Master to remain fastened to it unto death.

I must beware of listening, or above all of yielding, to the universal chorus of voices which will cry out to me to come down.

‘Come down or you will ruin your health.’

‘Come down and be like the rest of us.’

‘Come down or you will render yourself unfit for your work.’

‘Come down and walk in the beaten track.’

‘Come down, what you are doing is an innovation and cannot be tolerated.’

Alas, human respect only too often does make us relax, and down we come. Or we say to Our Lord, ’The agony is too long or too distressing, I must have some relief; only just take out one of the nails, Lord, and give me a little respite.’


It is the spirit of the times to relax - only a little bit, but nevertheless to relax. Ah no! I will imitate our Lord, I will live on the cross and with Him I will die on the cross.